Google Hangout with alumni in arts and media

Special to The Chronicle
Special to The Chronicle

Born out of the student-driven desire to meet and connect with Duke alumni working in arts and medial-related fields, a live Google Hangout will allow students to make these connections. Although a personal autograph from famous names such as Bryan Unkeless, the Los Angeles-based producer of The Hunger Games, or from Matt Greenfield, the producer of NBC’s Today Show, may not be possible, there will nevertheless be invaluable opportunities to speak with them and to listen to their stories.

The five alumni participating in the Hangout include Ekaterina Petrova from Google, Katie McClay from Leo Burnett Worldwide and Naureen Khan from Al Jazeera America, as well as Matt Greenfield and Bryan Unkeless.

The Google Hangout is geared toward exploring careers in arts, media and entertainment. According to Amy Unell, who is one of the main organizers behind the event, the Duke alumni will speak about their career paths following Duke, give advice for navigating the arts and media industry, as well as speak of their transition from Duke into an arts and media-related career based in the major cities Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles, D.C. and San Francisco (Silicon Valley).

“It will be informal, conversational and a fun opportunity to hear about different paths that are possible to make a living in creative fields,” said Unell.

Additionally, students will have the opportunity to hear about the experiences of previous student participants in “Duke in…” programs based in these very cities.

Andrew Jacobs, one of the MCs for the event, was a participant in the Duke in Chicago program, which focuses on arts entrepreneurship. “

It was such an immersion into the culture of art entrepreneurship, and through it I genuinely discovered my passion,” Jacobs said. “I think it will be really rewarding to discuss my experiences in Chicago and what I’ve learned about myself through it, and to inspire people to sign up for these programs and just try it. If I inspire at least one person to do that, then I’ll feel like I’ve done my job.”

The Google Hangout event is a collaborative effort among various Duke programs and organizations—Duke University Union, Duke Career Center, Duke GlobalEd, Duke Alumni Association, DukeArts and #artstigators—and addresses a fundamental question, which Jacobs eloquently poses, “Realistically speaking, how do I make arts a living?”

“Duke does such a great job with professions like medicine, business, law…but with the arts and media we are talking about professions that 'fall between the cracks,'so to speak," Gregory Moore, the President of DUU, said. "There is a lack of exposure to alumni or other individuals in these fields, because there’s not a specific track for these students."

The event underscores the impact of arts entrepreneurship and the potential for students to successfully pursue a career in the arts and media industries.

“There are so many rich opportunities to take advantage of in our country, and these are the opportunities that will really kick start your professional career," Jacobs said. "I hope people really get that."

The Google Hangout is Tuesday, Sept. 23 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Von Canon in the Bryan Center. The event will feature free food and free merchandise.

Share and discuss “Google Hangout with alumni in arts and media” on social media.