In Case You Missed It 9/26

With the advent of midterm season, its understandable if keeping up with the news has fallen by the wayside. Here's what happened this week.

Who needs a bucket of ice water when there's a whole pool? The Central Campus pool will close Sunday for the winter season. To mark the last day, Duke Aquatics will dump ice into the pool for a "Polar Plunge."

An army veteran who lost his sight and had to have both legs amputated came back to thank the Duke doctors who helped save his life.

Provost Sally Kornbluth presented the University's strategic plan. Research will get expanded, extracurriculars will get investigated and engineers will get to go abroad.

The Scene made a documentary series about Belle Knox, the student who rose to fame as the "Duke porn star."

Au Bon Pain might reduce its hours if students don't satisfy their late-night munchies more often.

Junior Jay Ruckelshaus is organizing a conference in October to discuss disability on college campuses.

Mentoring options for the ladies on-campus just got an upgrade as did the endowment.

Two alums have received MacArthur Fellowships, which are also known as "genius grants.

Duke mathematicians have found that racial segregation tends to increase with higher density of households. It turns out suburban sprawl, which also generally reduces accessibility for those of lower-incomes might be good for integration.

Share and discuss “In Case You Missed It 9/26” on social media.