Around the ACC: Week 3

With defending champions Florida State on a bye, the third week of the regular season showcased the depth of an improving ACC conference aside from two disappointing losses.

Duke 41, Kansas 3

The Blue Devils (3-0) turned in arguably their most impressive performance of the year in route to a 41-3 demolition of the Kansas Jayhawks. With the win, Duke advanced to 3-0 for the first time since 1994. An opportunistic defense—with interceptions by Evrett Edwards and DeVon Edwards—gave the Blue Devil offense great field position, leading to scores on its first three possessions. However, the story of the game was a record-setting performance by true freshman running back Shaun Wilson, whose 245 rushing yards were the most in school history. The outstanding performance garnered attention nationwide.

Virginia 23, No. 21 Louisville 21

The unranked Cavaliers (2-1) used a stout defense to end an 11-game conference losing streak with a 23-21 upset of the No. 21 Cardinals (2-1). The Cavaliers' 20-7 fourth quarter lead—built on the back of great defensive play—was wiped away due to two costly blunders by the Virginia defense that led to Louisville touchdowns. However, holding a 21-20 lead late in the fourth, the Cardinals were done in by a fumbled punt, giving the Cavaliers great field position for kicker Ian Frye’s game-winning 42-yard field goal. The win gives the perennial conference doormat new life in the wide-open ACC Coastal Division.

East Carolina 28, No. 17 Virginia Tech 21

After rocketing up the AP Poll with last week’s road victory at then-No. 8 Ohio State, the 17th-ranked Hokies (2-1) fell right back to earth with a stunning 28-21 home loss to East Carolina. East Carolina quarterback Shane Carden completed 23-of-47 passes for 427 yards and three touchdown passes. However, Carden’s biggest play of the game was his game-winning rushing touchdown with 16 seconds to play, which gave the Pirates the lead after the Hookies had overcome a three-touchdown deficit. As in past years, the Hokies once again fell victim to a trap game, ending any premature talk of a playoff birth.

Boston College 37, No. 9 Southern California 31

The Eagles (2-1) used a pounding rushing attack led by quarterback Tyler Murphy’s 191 rushing yards to shock the college football world with a 37-31 victory against the previously No. 9 Trojans. Boston College fans, wearing red bandanas as a tribute to a 9/11 victim, rushed the field after the program-defining upset. After trailing 17-6 in the second quarter, the Eagles scored 24 unanswered points against a vaunted Southern California defense.

After having their lead cut to 30-24, the Eagles got the ball back with 4:25 remaining in the fourth quarter. Murphy then put the Eagles on his back with a 66-yard streak to the end zone that gave Boston College a two-score lead that it would not relinquish. For the Trojans, the defeat was a massive letdown after a signature victory the previous week at Stanford.

Pittsburgh 42, Florida International 25

The Panthers (3-0) overcame an early two-touchdown deficit on their way to a 42-25 victory over Florida International. After falling behind 16-0 in the first quarter, the Panthers scored two touchdowns in the second quarter and took the lead for good with 7:15 in the third quarter. A standout performance was turned in by sophomore running back James Conner, who had 177 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 31 carries. With the victory, the Panthers improved to 3-0 for the first time since 2009.

Georgia Tech 42, Georgia Southern 38

A late 13-yard touchdown pass by Georgia Tech quarterback Justin Thomas helped the Yellow Jackets (3-0) escape a massive upset at the hands of Georgia Southern with a 42-38 victory. After building a 35-10 halftime lead with a seemingly unstoppable offense, Georgia Tech allowed 28 unanswered points to the Eagles, who looked primed for another upset of a major-conference team. The victory moved the Yellow Jackets to 3-0 on the season.

Miami 41, Arkansas State 20

Miami (2-1) true freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya passed for 342 yards and four touchdowns in the Hurricanes' 41-20 rout of Arkansas State. Kaaya’s passing yards were the most for a true freshman in Miami history and appeared to be the product of a more open playbook. The main beneficiary of Kaaya’s performance was wide receiver Phillip Dorsett, who had 201 receiving yards on just four receptions, including two touchdowns.

N.C. State 49, USF 17

The Wolfpack (3-0) beat the South Florida Bulls 49-17 on the back of quarterback Jacoby Brissett’s two first-half touchdown passes. The Wolfpack opened up a 35-7 halftime lead and never looked back, but will have little time to celebrate with contests against Florida State and Clemson looming.

Utah State 36, Wake Forest 24

An opportunistic Utah State defense scored two defensive touchdowns off a pair of Wake Forest (1-2) turnovers to open up an insurmountable 29-7 halftime lead. A late Demon Deacon comeback effort was thwarted by the Aggies, who held Wake Forest to negative 25 yards rushing for the game.

Syracuse 40, Central Michigan 3

Syracuse quarterback Terrel Hunt ran for three scores and threw for another in a 40-3 victory against the Chippewas. The Orange (2-0) dominated an over-matched Central Michigan squad from start to finish, but will face power-five opponents the rest of the way.

Byes: Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina

Share and discuss “Around the ACC: Week 3” on social media.