Trevor Schoonmaker curates Duke art scene

Trevor Schoonmaker (right), new curator of Duke's Nasher Museum of Art, hopes to bring some inspiration from his nationally touring exhibits to the corner of Campus and Alexander.

This is one entry of the "Ten People to Watch" list in July's Towerview.

Just a tug on the cord of the C1 bus can transport a student into a world of Motley and Miró, that spans from medieval to modern, with art exhibitions that travel nationally and a contemporary collection that is part of the international dialogue—courtesy of Trevor Schoonmaker, chief curator at the Nasher Museum of Art, and his team.

Schoonmaker—who was promoted last year—encourages students interested in the arts to take advantage of the Nasher and nearby resources, including Duke professors and other Triangle museums. Schoonmaker is looking forward to upcoming exhibitions at the Nasher, which include a show featuring Joan Miró and another exploring Robert Rauschenberg’s legacy as an artist.

“Go see as much art in person as you possibly can,” he said. “When you are in school, you may not realize how vibrant and strong the art program is here until you move away. The main thing is to look, look, look.”

To Schoonmaker, the Nasher is different than other museums because it is not only an active participant in the University and local communities, but also a relevant player in the global contemporary art world.

“You try to find a show that can be used by faculty and students and attract viewers from the local area and still get critical attention—travel and get a review in The New York Times,” Schoonmaker said. “Can we do all of those things in one show? Well, we can.”

As the Patsy R. and Raymond D. Nasher curator of contemporary art, Schoonmaker most recently curated the nationally touring exhibition Wangechi Mutu: A Fantastic Journey in 2013. He cites one of his primary objectives as diversity, providing the uniformity of the Gothic Wonderland with a splash of flair at the corner of Campus and Alexander.

“Trevor has been instrumental in growing the museum’s collection of contemporary art, with a focus on emerging, global artists of color,” said Wendy Hower, the Nasher’s manager of marketing and communications.

Share and discuss “Trevor Schoonmaker curates Duke art scene” on social media.