New dining options arrive on campus

New food trucks Mac-ur-Roni and Deli-icious will rotate through the schedule in place of Baguettaboutit and Foster’s on the Fly.

Following a year that saw many changes to the on-campus venue options, students will return to a new set of dining variations.

New food trucks Mac-ur-Roni and Deli-icious will rotate through the schedule in place of Baguettaboutit and Foster’s on the Fly. Serrano Deli will replace Pizza Mia as one of the Merchants-on-Points vendors, and Pitchfork Provisions is undergoing the process of being renovated, said Director of Dining Services Robert Coffey.

The changes come in response to the campus-wide dining survey conducted by the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee and Duke Student Government.

“I am extremely excited about the new food options that the Duke community will be able to experience next year,” said DUSDAC co-chair Gregory Lahood, a senior. “I feel as though the changes in the MOP and food truck lineups are representative of the preferences of the Duke community.”

Coffey explained that DUSDAC annually interviews potential vendors and samples their products to evaluate them for “food quality, customer service, good menu mix and affordable pricing.”

“We were wowed in every case,” Lahood said.

Coffey said that Pitchfork Provisions is redesigning customer flow and seating to accommodate for increased business.

Penn Pavilion is also changing things up, adding a hand-dipped ice cream and shake station in response to requests for more dessert options.

While the West Union is closed for renovations, Penn Pavilion is functioning as a dining hall. Throughout last year—the venue's debut on campus—the Pavilion faced some difficulties attracting student interest.

“These changes are an ongoing process and we are constantly working with vendors to expand the available options,” said DUSDAC co-chair Brian Taylor, a junior.

Students frequenting the School of Law will also notice new dining options as the Law Refectory Café has officially left campus—a decision that was initially met with negative feedback from the community.

In its place will be the new Café de Novo, which is to be operated by Sam Clowney and Chris Holloway, the partnership behind McClendon Tower's Pitchfork Provisions and Bella Union, as well as French Family Science Center's La Dolce Vita.

Coffey noted that Duke Dining has sent a contract to one more Merchants-on-Points vendor but is still waiting to hear back.

Share and discuss “New dining options arrive on campus” on social media.