Jahil Okafor stands out in freshman class

The top-ranked player in his recruiting class, center Jahlil Okafor has the chance to give Duke the type of post presence it hasn't seen in nearly a decade.

This is one entry of the "Ten People to Watch" list in July's Towerview.

You won't have to do much watching to find Jahlil Okafor on Duke's campus this Fall. The 7-footer has a knack for standing out.

Okafor, a freshman from Chicago, headlines a star-studded freshman class that hopes to make Blue Devil fans forget about the team's early exit from the 2014 NCAA tournament. Like many who have entered Duke's storied basketball program before him, Okafor was ranked the No. 1 recruit in the nation. But Okafor has a skill that sets him apart from the Blue Devils' recent string of high-profile freshmen—post presence.

Duke was one of the nation's most athletic teams last season, but the Blue Devils were equally volatile due to their lack of size. Offensively, Duke did not have a reliable post option and instead had to depend on the play of its wings and guards and defensively, the team lacked a rim protector. The Blue Devils now have a 7-foot, 265-pound center to fill that void—and he is already being heralded by scouts as one of the most NBA-ready big men to ever enter the college game.

Okafor has the chance to do more than join Chicago native Jabari Parker as Duke's second straight freshman to earn first-team All-American honors and become just the second Blue Devils to average a double-double since the 2005-06 season. Many believe the team's hopes for a fifth national championship rest on Okafor's broad shoulders.

Share and discuss “Jahil Okafor stands out in freshman class” on social media.