Helms Pickett leads Women's Center in its 25th year

Stephanie Helms Pickett is the new director of the Women's Center, which celebrated its 25th anniversary this year.

This is one entry of the "Ten People to Watch" list in July's Towerview.

The new face of Few Tower, Stephanie Helms Pickett was named the director of the Women's Center at Duke April 2, 2014.

Before being named to her new role, Helms Pickett held a variety of positions within the University for the past eight years, working as director of assessment and professional development within Student Affairs, chairing Duke’s Bias Analysis Task Force and serving on the task force for Gender and the Undergraduate Experience. These experiences have given Helms Pickett a multidimensional perspective of gender issues that affect Duke students and faculty.

“We provide services and support to students who have been victims of sexual assault, but our work doesn't end there,” Helms Pickett said. “We impact the culture of this institution by providing services that uplift students and that give them a voice that helps to ensure their confidence in navigating Duke and beyond while serving their needs in terms of advocacy and social justice.”

Celebrating the 25th anniversary of its founding in 2014, the Duke Women’s Center is a campus resource that Helms Pickett highly recommends for all students—men and women—but especially for first-year students who are undergoing a major transition.

During her time at the University, Helms Pickett has also taught courses at Duke's Sanford School of Public Policy. She has published two books—the second of which, Her Name is SHE, drew inspiration from the Bible to examine the use of the word “she” in media and popular culture. Drawing a connection to another use of “she” which refers to wisdom, Helms Pickett advocates for increased conversation among females of their weaknesses as well as strengths, which she believes can foster a greater sense of trust among women.

“If we use what we learn to guide ourselves, we can also use that to help other people,” Helms Pickett said.

If directing the Women’s Center did not keep her busy enough, Helms Pickett is currently working on her third book and maintains a regular blog.

Helms Pickett is inspired by the next generation and works to both challenge and affirm Duke students through the programming and safe conversational space that the Women’s Center provides.

“We learn from each other when we feel confident and can have deepened relationships and conversations,” she said.

Share and discuss “Helms Pickett leads Women's Center in its 25th year” on social media.