Carleigh Stiehm leads Chronicle v.110

Rising junior Carleigh Stiehm looks to tap into her computer science background to promote The Chronicle's digital product as its new Editor-in-Chief.

This is one entry of the "Ten People to Watch" list in July's Towerview.

“Never less than your best” reads a sign posted on the wall of Chronicle editor-in-chief Carleigh Stiehm’s office in 301 Flowers, where the independent student newspaper is located. Since starting her tenure as editor of The Chronicle's 110th volume this May, she has taken those words to heart.

“It’s like a constant reminder that The Chronicle as an organization is so much bigger than any one person,” Stiehm said. “We have an incredible rich history that is older than Duke University itself.”??????

Stiehm said she came to Duke expecting to become involved in a student publication having been a member of her high school newspaper staff. She wrote her first article for The Chronicle January of her freshman year after a stint on the design team.

From there, she became University editor of The Chronicle's news department prior to being elected editor. Stiehm said that one of her key goals is to further integrate Chronicle online content with its print edition.

“Media in general is trying to figure out how to balance the digital side of news with the tangible paper that has dominated for so long, and The Chronicle is no different,” she said. “We want to give our readers the news they most want in the format they can best receive it. I am very excited to see all of the different ways we can experiment with reaching those goals this year.”??????????

Though much of her time in the newsroom will be spent editing articles and page designs, Stiehm also has a lighter side, said senior Raisa Chowdhury, news editor of V.109 and incoming news blog editor.

"Carleigh has this thing where a lot of her stuff is monogrammed, and people in the office would sometimes poke fun at her for it," she said. "Eventually she went and printed out these really pretty monograms of everyone's initials and put them up above our desks so that everyone would be a part of the monogramming culture."

At the same time, she is more than willing to get down to work when necessary, Chowdhury said.

“She is just … present and confident and owned what she wanted to do, which is important when you're the face of an organization,” she said. “Just in general … , she has always been willing to go the extra mile for The Chronicle. She was always here and she was willing to do things that she didn't necessarily relish doing all the time.”

Share and discuss “Carleigh Stiehm leads Chronicle v.110” on social media.