CULTURE  |  MUSIC

Music Review: Little Red

Special to The Chronicle
Special to The Chronicle

4.5/5 stars

Katy B’s excellent debut album “On A Mission” came out in 2011 and instantly heralded the new sound of British pop music. Her modern twist on ‘90s UK garage and house music seems prescient in an age where artists like Jessie Ware, Disclosure and Sam Smith are routinely topping the charts. Her newest album, “Little Red,” throws in some balladry with her dance floor anthems. It is a major improvement from her previous work. “Little Red” is a rare and mature album in a genre that traffics in shallowness and debauchery.

The closest thing “On A Mission” had to a straight-up ballad was the dubstep/trap song 'Katy On A Mission,' which was still eminently danceable. Here, Katy splits the difference. Around half of the tracks are electronica ballads and the other half her signature house jams, but the two styles are seamlessly integrated over all of the record’s 17 tracks. UK garage is a constant influence throughout “Little Red.” Even the most mournful of ballads are percussive and restless; the tempo might be slower, but her emotions still percolate beneath the surface of every song.

“Little Red” is, at its core, a breakup album, and the two best songs showcase the results of Katy’s heartbreak while also developing her new sound. ‘Aaliyah’ is a sultry house duet with her stylistic counterpart Jessie Ware, and its lyrical theme can basically be boiled down to ‘Jolene’ at the club. The combination of Katy and Ware is phenomenal. The two have real chemistry that gives the track the perfect amounts of unease and menace.

On the slower side of things, ‘Crying For No Reason’ is the perfect mix of her balladry and UK garage influence. Katy’s powerful voice propels the track in both its delicate, piano-driven opening and its synth-based climax. This is what Adele (a former classmate of Katy) was aiming for on ‘Set Fire to the Rain,’ yet it is clear which song perfected the ratio. While Katy is a less adept vocalist than Adele, her smoky tone and large range allow her to anchor and expand her songs, giving house tracks the same amount of oomph and drama as the ballads. All in all, “Little Red” is an important artistic statement from a singer who is evolving her genre in an innovative and fresh way.

Share and discuss “Music Review: Little Red” on social media.