HALFTIME: Duke 40, North Carolina 37

From the opening tip it was clear the intensity was present for No. 4 Duke, and the Blue Devils lead No. 14 North Carolina 40-37 at the half. The Blue Devils swarmed to the ball on defense, scrapping for long rebounds, getting hands on North Carolina passes and forcing the Tar Heels to call a timeout after being unable to inbound the basketball under their own hoop. Duke was led in the first half by its two stars, Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood, who combined for 27 points. North Carolina was paced by James Michael McAdoo, who recorded 11 points before being relegated to the bench with foul woes.

Here are some observations from the first half:

• Rodney Hood was fired up early. He started the scoring with an easy hoop at the rim, then knocked down a deep triple, beating his chest as he went back on defense.
  • Duke returned to the 5-for-5 line switches again early in the half, with the second unit coming on with 16:42 left in the half. That line had little success however, having its first two shot attempts blocked—first by Marcus Paige, then by McAdoo.
  • Duke struggled once again from beyond the arc, hitting just 2-of-13 from 3-point range.
  • The Tar Heels were hot from the field, shooting 61.9 percent from the floor.
  • North Carolina upped its physicality in the latter half of the period, forcing the ball into the paint and drawing fouls or getting easy opportunities against the Duke frontline.
  • The Blue Devils recorded just four assists on 17 made field goals in the half.
  • McAdoo was called for his third foul with 5:13 remaining in the first half. He let the officials know about his displeasure.
  • Foul trouble may well hurt Duke again in the second half. Josh Hairston committed three fouls and Tyler Thornton, Hood and Parker each committed two.
  • Paige didn't record his first point until the 4:03 mark in the first half. He ended the half with six points.
  • Brice Johnson was a surprising offensive force for the Tar Heels in the first half, scoring 10 points. He averages 10.1 points per game.

Share and discuss “HALFTIME: Duke 40, North Carolina 37” on social media.