Watch List: Sophomore Academic Homecoming

Sophomore year can be an exciting but stressful whirlwind for Duke students. In addition to relocating from East Campus to either West or Central Campus, sophomores must declare a course of study from among the University's 50 majors, 47 minors and 24 interdisciplinary certificates. Sophomore Academic Homecoming, a new tradition initiated by the Sophomore Class Council, the University's administration, Duke Student Government and the Academic Advising Center, aims to turn this hyped-up decision into a celebration.

The first annual Sophomore Academic Homecoming came to fruition in March 2013. Hosted just after sophomores declare their majors, the event is intended to be a celebration of this academic occasion and an opportunity for students to interact with fellow classmates as well as faculty members within their newly selected academic departments.

Kenai McFadden, vice president of the class of 2015 council, said last year’s council sought to initiate a permanent academic tradition at Duke, since providing programming for choosing a major fell under their mission statement.

“Academic Homecoming is really meant to be a celebration of choosing your majors but also forming your academic identities,” said Junior Class President Bret Lesavoy, who was president of the Class of 2015 Council during the inaugural academic homecoming.

“I’m excited to see the enthusiasm and collaboration this event has sparked," he said. "The support from the administration has been tremendous, and having all of this support makes me optimistic that it will continue for a long time.”

Sophomore Class President Isabella Kwai said she is looking forward to the second annual academic homecoming scheduled for March.

“It’s a great opportunity for members of the sophomore class to get to know the people behind the scary words and find out what this decision really means to them,” she said.

Based on the success of the first annual Sophomore Academic Homecoming, it seems likely that this new springtime tradition will become a permanent part of Duke’s culture.

McFadden said he is eager to see this event prosper and grow at Duke in the future.

“We definitely hope this tradition stays at Duke for years to come,” he said.

Share and discuss “Watch List: Sophomore Academic Homecoming” on social media.