Watch List: Duke Chorale's Spring tour

While some students hop onto a crowded cruise ship this spring break, 55 members of Duke Chorale will squeeze onto a tour bus to New England for their annual tour. A tradition that goes as far back as 1969, the Chorale spends a week performing at local churches, exploring the city and enhancing their musical performance.

"It’s a great opportunity for the singers to get to know each other,” junior Arielle Brackett said. "We’re together for four hours a week for practice, but we’re not really socializing. This is a good time for all of us to get closer to new members and to our director.”

Touring destinations usually include churches and cities, often in domestic locations such as Florida and California, with which Chorale has established relationships. Every four years, however, Chorale will go on an international tour. Last March, Chorale traveled all the way to Bermuda.

“I personally loved Bermuda,” Brackett said. “The typical tour can tend to be more work-intensive, even though you’re really enjoy doing it. [In Bermuda], the days were mostly free for singers to go on tours and do more of what they want on the islands.”

Director Rodney Wynkoop said the quality of Chorale’s performance improves tremendously throughout the tour in the midst of bonding and city exploring.

“You’re performing four to five times a week, and it has a way of transforming their musical performance,” Wynkoop said.

Brackett agreed, noting that performing constantly enhances their sound. She said she is excited to perform at Old South Church in Boston with her fellow Chorale members.

"
It’s a beautiful church," she said. "We’re really excited to sing in such a historic and meaningful place."

Chorale will end their tour at Baldwin Auditorium Mar. 18. Having performed consistently for a week, Chorale will be at its very best, Wynkoop said.

"After singing multiple days in a row, we just sound so much better," Brackett said. "Touring is a fulfilling spring break, but it’s very fulfilling musically as well."

Share and discuss “Watch List: Duke Chorale's Spring tour” on social media.