DUSDAC members sample Mama Duke’s food truck

DUSDAC members sampled Mama Duke’s food truck which served Mediterranean food with a 
southern twist.
DUSDAC members sampled Mama Duke’s food truck which served Mediterranean food with a southern twist.

Members of the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee sampled options from Mama Duke’s food truck during their committee meeting Monday night.

Mama Duke’s owners—father-and-son team Michael and Mike Alexakis—served up signature Mediterranean cuisine with a distinct southern twist. Falafel, coconut curry and chicken masala were among the options that DUSDAC members sampled. The group’s responses to both the flavor of food and efficiency of service were positive.

“They had a big menu tonight and they got the food out immediately,” said senior Chris Taylor, co-chair of DUSDAC . “It seemed like really fast service compared to every other truck we’ve had”

Although Mama Duke’s has found success catering corporate offices, nightclubs and private events, Michael and Mike said they are looking to expand their client base to include Duke students. They highlighted Mama Duke’s flexible menu options when speaking about their truck.

“We can go any direction that you’d like,” Michael said. “Steak, shrimp, fresh seafood—we can do it all to order.”

The father-son duo is also willing to adjust dishes to fit student’s dietary needs.

“We do take special requests and we make things to order right on the spot,” Mike added.

Among the truck’s more popular items are curry and chicken tikka, both of which are gluten free.

DUSDAC is in the process of sampling various food trucks to decide which vendors to ultimately bring to campus on select weeknights. They will taste Durham pizza truck, Pie Pushers, during next week’s meeting.

Following the food truck tasting, the group discussed future plans to send out a survey that will gauge general perception of food options on campus. The survey will ask students what their favorite eateries are, where they would like to see more variety in dining and what dietary restrictions they may have.

Although DUSDAC is eager to hear about students’ dining preferences, Taylor emphasized that there will be no new restaurants added to the Duke line-up before the West Union construction is complete.

“There is nowhere else to add a restaurant on campus. I don’t want people to think we’re going to tear down the Chapel to make room,” joked Taylor.

Share and discuss “DUSDAC members sample Mama Duke’s food truck” on social media.