Duke shuts down C route buses and van services

Buses have skidded as they shuttle students and faculty between campuses. This bus appeared to be stuck outside of the Sarah P. Duke Gardens.
This article was updated 5:12 p.m. when the buses were suspended.

ongoing winter storm.

"The biggest thing that we are trying to do is to run them...especially for our hospital and clinic-based employees...that need to get into lots for their vehicles," Cavanaugh said. "Probably in the near future we will shut them down."

added that there is major traffic in the Triangle area due to the weather.

DATA stopped running buses at 4 p.m. and Triangle Transit stopped running buses at 5 p.m.

"Students thinking of driving to Chapel Hill right now should know the roads are packed with cars—it's like gridlock in the community," Dailey said.

Senior Angela Woods started driving back to campus from her job in Research Triangle Park at around 1 p.m. Wednesday. The commute—normally 20 minutes—took her three hours. She said the road was covered with snow, and cars were either stopped or moving at less than five miles per hour.

Woods said she was scared when some people were having to push their cars on her highway exit.

"I don't think Durham was prepared for this much snow," said Woods, who said her hometown in northern Kentucky experiences heavy snow but knows how to handle it. "I was thinking, 'I don't want to sleep on the interstate.'"

Students should also be aware that freezing rain is supposed to begin tonight, which can cause branches to break, Dailey added.

There are so many accidents throughout Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill that police said they will only respond to more serious ones, according to The News and Observer. Motorists involved in minors accidents are urged to exchange information and report the incident later.

Additionally, nearly all flights are cancelled at Raleigh-Durham International Airport.

Share and discuss “Duke shuts down C route buses and van services” on social media.