Duke basketball's backcourt by committee

Rasheed Sulaimon and Quinn Cook have split the starting spot in the last eight games, and Duke has benefitted from keeping opponents guessing.

The guards' complementary skills can form an effective tandem as well, especially in later parts of a game.

"We’re both great ball-handlers," Sulaimon said. "We both can penetrate the defense and get others involved. We’re both good set-shooters as well, so having Quinn in the backcourt with me takes a lot of pressure off me at the point guard position."

Cook also enjoys the combination.

"[Sulaimon] is a great player," Cook said. "You know he can score the ball. We were in the backcourt together last year so we have great chemistry. It’s fun playing out there with him—we complement each other very well."

While the starting lineup may be unpredictable, Thornton said the variability is not something that bothers or distracts the team.

"If it was a distraction, that would mean we were an immature team," Thornton said. "That stuff really doesn't matter, as long as you come in and do your job, everything will be fine and everybody will be happy."

Share and discuss “Duke basketball's backcourt by committee” on social media.