Chance the Rapper to drop beats at personal checks

Chance The Rapper, electronic duo ASTR and Charlotte-based DJs Styles&Complete will be performing at personal checks in Krzyzewskiville March 6.

The lineup was announced through a Facebook event and promotional video released Wednesday.
The annual personal checks concert marks the last two nights of student tenting outside Wilson Recreation Center prior to the home Duke vs. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill men’s basketball game. The Major Attractions committee of Duke University Union organized the event and will announce performers for the Last Day of Classes at the end of the P-Checks concert.

“We thought [Chance The Rapper] was a good choice because he was an up-and-coming dude,” said Major Attractions Chair Christian Britto, a senior. “When we first spoke to him, we thought that people were going to like him, and he’d keep getting more and more famous after the concert, too.”

Headliner Chance The Rapper has received attention for his 2013 album “Acid Rap”—
named the second-best hip-hop album of the year by Spin Magazine— as well as collaborations with Justin Bieber and Childish Gambino. The three artists succeed electronic groups A-Track, the Knocks and Tim Gunter, who performed for a lively crowd last spring.

Major Attractions member junior Harli Grant said Chance’s energetic performances will be an appropriate fit for the venue, adding that she is optimistic that the lesser-known opening acts will be well-received by attendees.

“People are really excited and wondering how we got them,” Grant said. “They’re not as familiar with the openers but they’re also amazing. It’s going to be a really good time.”

Some students noted DUU’s recent trend toward choosing hip-hop and electronic music artists—citing performances by Steve Aoki and Kendrick Lamar at last year's LDOC.

“I just assume any concert that happens on campus will be rap or electronic music, so it wasn’t surprising,” said sophomore Noura von Briesen, a black tenter.

Junior Angela Zhang said she is excited for the performance despite a lack of familiarity with the performers' music.

“My good friend is really into Chance and was listening to him for years, and she said she would die if he came for LDOC,” Zhang said. “I didn’t know his name, but I downloaded his mixtape and he sounds like a cross between Kendrick and Childish Gambino, so a 9 out of 10.”

Share and discuss “Chance the Rapper to drop beats at personal checks” on social media.