DSG to receive higher portion of student activities fee

This students activities fee increase is part of the routine increase to account for yearly inflation.

The portion of the student activities fee that Duke Student Government receives for the 2014-15 school year will increase by $1.50 from this year’s $114.50.

This increase—which will bring the total to $116—is part of the routine increase to account for yearly inflation, said junior Nikolai Doytchinov, executive vice president. The increase represents the 1.2 percent inflation that occurred this year, he announced at the DSG meeting Wednesday evening.

“We are basically collecting the same amount of money in real terms,” Doytchinov said.

In light of the successful student turnout at last week’s football game against North Carolina State University, there will be another pre-game event for this week’s game against Miami University, said president Stefani Jones, a senior.

Doytchinov and sophomore Mariel Turner were confirmed as the two members of the Traffic Appeals Committee. This committee hears all appeals of traffic citations and give recommendations.

After releasing an application to the entire student body, Turner was the only applicant. Doytchinov noted however that Turner was incredibly qualified for the position.

Freshman James Ferencsik, senator for academic affairs, presented the second reading of the revised version of the affiliate bylaw.

DSG affiliates are defined as semi-autonomous entities affiliated with DSG to further common objectives. These include the Duke Student Dining Advisory Committee and the Inferno.

The revised bylaw ends the Residential Facilities Committee because the committee has been inactive for some time, Ferencsik said. The Student Environmental Sustainability Committee was also deemed inactive, but it can be reinstated in the future if the DSG president deems it necessary.

Jones noted that the SESC has not been necessary since the Senate was restructured to include a Facilities and the Environment committee.

The legislation passed.

Treasurer Davis Treybig, a sophomore, presented legislation to grant the Duke University Canadian Club status as a recognized student group. The legislation passed by unanimous consent.

The Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity requested $1,625 from the programming fund for its annual Kappa Christmas Social. About 125 undergraduates are expected to attend the event held in the Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture on Dec. 6.

Sophomore Jay Sullivan, senator for residential life and a sports reporter for The Chronicle, noted that a denominational party could potentially exclude students who do not celebrate Christmas from attending.

“It doesn’t seem like an accepting and open event because it is about Christmas,” Sullivan said.

Junior Jacob Zionce, vice president for residential life, said that so long as all students are invited to attend, he sees no problem with funding religiously affiliated events.

Sullivan also noted that the party will feature three performances—Rhythm and Blue, a live jazz quartet and a magician—all of which cost between $100 and $200 each.

The legislation passed.

Share and discuss “DSG to receive higher portion of student activities fee” on social media.