State Fair workers arrested after 5 injured on ride

The State Fair was not without its hiccups.

Despite five people getting injured while riding "the Vortex," families and groups of teenagers still poured into the fairgrounds of the North Carolina State Fair this year.

The usual fair happenings carried on Sunday night—the last day of the fair. A massive Royal Palm turkey preened and gobbled at passerby, while hay was judged on its leafiness and aroma and cows were evaluated on their “dairiness.” Vendors sold custom phone cases, Bibles and houses inspired by Si from "Duck Dynasty." Food stalls sold turkey legs, and fried candy bars and Kool-Aid. Kids squirted water guns and clumsily threw basketballs for stuffed prizes.

The night before, however, investigations of the Thursday accident led to the arrest of Timothy Dwayne Tutterrow, the attendant who was operating the ride at the time of the injuries.

“After inspection of the ride, we determined that it had been tampered with and critical safety devices were compromised,” Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison said in a press statement.

The operator was charged with three counts of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious bodily harm. According to authorities and eyewitnesses, five people were injured on the Vortex ride while unloading. All five were sent to WakeMed Hospital, and three still remain hospitalized.

“When you find out that this is something that very likely could have resulted from someone’s actions, it takes the [reaction] from the level of being upset about what happened to being angry about why it happened,” said Brian Long, director of the State Fair's press office.

The investigation into the accident is still ongoing. The fair continued after the accident and the arrest, but with reduced attendance and more inspections.

But not all fairgoers were assured of the safety of the rides.

“The rides are as safe as a fair ride can be, but we know it’s no Busch Gardens,” said Rachel Gray, a senior at North Carolina State University who regularly works at the fair.

Freshman Jordan Lucore also had misgivings.

“I wouldn’t ride the rides at the state fair,” Lucore said. “The accident would scare me off for this year, but next year, I would definitely go back.”

Long said the fair staff will use the accident to enhance and correct the planning and execution of the event in years to come.

“We always sit down at the end of the fair and talk about what went right and what we can do better to make for a better experience the following year,” Long said. “It’s safe to say this is something we want to take a look at.”

Share and discuss “State Fair workers arrested after 5 injured on ride” on social media.