Food Factory extends operating hours to offer breakfast during the week

The Food Factory will open at 9 a.m. instead of 5 p.m. during the week.

Central Campus eatery Food Factory now serves up breakfast during the week.

In response to limited breakfast options and growing concern from Central Campus students, last week the facility began including breakfast on its menu and extended its operating hours—shifting its opening time from 5 p.m.to 9 a.m., while keeping its closing time of 11 p.m. The restaurant will be open between 11 a.m. and 11 p.m. during the weekend.

“We saw a need to increase the hours because of the West Union renovations, which have put a huge strain on Duke Dining,” said Chris Taylor, co-chair of the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee.

In order to expand dining options, the committee initially wanted to put another food truck on West Campus to serve breakfast. Due to complications with parking policy, the committee instead decided to request the extension of Food Factory’s hours.

Jim Schmid, co-owner and co-operator of the Food Factory, agreed to extend the restaurant’s hours after being approached by DUSDAC.

“We decided to open because of the dining limitations,” Schmid said.

Director of Dining Services Robert Coffey noted that Food Factory has extended its hours in the past, but could not maintain them due to an insufficient increase in business.

“We hope that this time it will have a different outcome,” Coffey wrote in an email Monday.

Food Factory management is concerned about the increased financial burden of compensating staff for more working hours. If enough students don’t come in the mornings, the Food Factory could lose money, Schmid said.

“[Business] has been pretty slow, but OK,” Schmid said. “We have to at least break even. If the restaurant doesn’t make money, it can’t be open in the morning.”

Lavanya Sunder, Duke Student Government vice president for services, said she supports the extension of Food Factory hours.

“There’s a need to maximize dining options on Central Campus due to the dining restrictions,” Sunder said.

Share and discuss “Food Factory extends operating hours to offer breakfast during the week” on social media.