DSG discusses changes to basketball walk-up line policy

DSG discussed black and blue tenting at their meeting Wednesday night.

The walk-up line policy has been amended to include hurricanes and imminent danger to the situations of grace.

Head line monitor Gabrielle Hodgins, a senior, presented the changes to the line policy at the Duke Student Government senate meeting Wednesday night. She noted that the majority of the guidelines have not changed from last year.

This year, tents will be allowed in the walk-up line of the game against the University of Michigan, but no other game.

“It cuts down on the trouble we have organizing the line,” Hodgins said. “It also improves attendance, and I really think it helps game-day atmosphere.”

For black and blue tenting, only store-purchased tents and tarps in their original form are permitted, rather than the physical structures that dominated black tenting last year. There are a total of 70 tent spaces available for both back and blue tents.

The Countdown to Craziness event is on Oct. 18, and black tenting begins on Jan. 19, 2014.

The walk-up line will have grace periods for the game against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

The changes clarified that Wilson and the Intramural Gyms are not parts of Krzyzewskiville.

The Senate voted without contest to approve the presented changes.

In other business:

The Senate elected the seven justices who will constitute this year’s judiciary branch. The new justices were sworn selected from 13 finalists that had been narrowed down from 23 applicants by the judiciary committee.

There were three returning justices—sophomores Joseph Denton and Max Schreiber and senior Daniel Strunk—and four new—junior Will Giles and freshmen Jonathan Chapman, Catherine Fei and Zach Fuchs.

Every candidate was asked to discuss the Judiciary’s ruling in the case of Dinner and Wang vs. the Board of Elections. The April ruling determined that it was not within DSG’s power to restrict free speech via social media. Additionally, the decision nullified the BOE’s ability to determine start and end dates for campaigning.

Sophomores Abhi Sanka and Aubrey Temple, both senators for residential life, presented legislation to encourage independent residential houses to promote their leadership election cycles to the Spring. This resolution—created to empower elected leaders to better connect with their house by beginning planning earlier in the year—was tabled until next week’s meeting.

The Senate voted approve a request for $3,950 from the programming fund to Duke Mock Trial’s Tobacco Road Invitational Tournament.

The Student Organization Finance Committee allowed Duke Second Languages in Action to officially change its name to Duke Public Speaking Club. The committee also changed the group Duke On Tap—a University dance group—from a chartered to a recognized group.

Sophomore Lavanya Sunder, vice president for services, is working to bring a bike-sharing program to Duke. The service would allow students to check out bikes from central racks and return them to locations of their convenience.

“As we are trying to work on things like sustainability on campus, this is a step in the right direction,” Jones said.

Junior Jacob Zionce, vice president for residential life, said that the executive board is working on new proposals for expanded gender neutral housing in selective living groups. He added that freshmen currently have no options to enter into gender neutral housing.

“We want to put it into Wilson going forward,” he said, noting that the suite-style bathroom styles would be more conducive to the change.

Share and discuss “DSG discusses changes to basketball walk-up line policy” on social media.