Looney has 'great experience' visiting Duke

Five-star recruit Kevon Looney, ranked No. 9 in the nation by ESPN, took an official visit to Duke this weekend. He had a "great experience" he told NY2LASports.com while being hosted by Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood:

The blue chip forward, recently returned from Duke where he spent the weekend with his hosts Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood, and of course Head Coach Mike Krzyzewski. “It was a great time, great experience,” Looney told NY2LASPORTS.COM Sunday night. “I had a great time with the team. I sat down with Coack K. and the whole coaching staff. It was great. I got to play some pick-up games with the guys. I had a good time with Jabari, Rodney, and all those guys."

Looney has already officially visited Florida and unofficially visited Wisconsin while Michigan State, UCLA and Tennessee also remain on his list. He will visit Tennessee the weekend of Sept. 21 and Michigan State and UCLA next month before making a decision. Looney's father is from Tennessee, which he talks about in the above interview.

Duke is thought to be either the favorite or among the top two for the 6-foot-8 forward.

Speaking of big men, Duke also offered Reid Travis last week, the No. 40 recruit in the nation, another 6-foot-8 forward.

Travis sat down for a Q&A with The Devils' Den (subscription required) which is definitely worth the read. Travis talks about how he had always wanted a Duke offer because of the school's strong combination of athletics and academics, which is very important to him:

What was it about Duke that made you hopeful for contact?

It’s just kinda the schools I’m looking at, I’m trying to find that right balance of academics and basketball and I feel like they have that. All the schools I’m looking at have that as well, so I was trying to build a good list where everyone has the same deal like that. Before the summer, I felt like Duke was the only one out there that had that balance that I hadn’t heard from yet.

In other news... N.C. State picked up a big commitment in Abdul-Malik Abu, a 6-foot-8 forward and the no. 41 player in the class of 2014. He was also considering Florida, UConn and Providence with his other official visit going to Florida. He joins twins Caleb and Cody Martin in Mark Gottfried's 2014 class, with Caleb Martin ranked No. 50 by ESPN.

Also, 6-foot-9 Lithuanian forward Martin Geben committed to Notre Dame over ACC foe Virginia.

Share and discuss “Looney has 'great experience' visiting Duke” on social media.