Top recruits open August at Adidas Nations

With the July live evaluation period now firmly in the rearview mirror, the nation's top prospects converged in Garden Grove, Calif. last weekend for the seventh annual Adidas Nations tournament. The tournament, which is similar to July's Nike Global Challenge, pits the top high school talent in the United States against teams from Australia, Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America.

The USA 2014 Red team was probably the tournament's most recognizable squad, headlined by Jahlil Okafor, Kevon Looney, Justise Winslow and Stanley Johnson. Okafor continued to display his polished post game, scoring 18 points and adding 12 rebounds and five assists in a win against USA 2015 Blue. The 6-foot-10 center also made headlines off the court earlier in the week when his AAU proclaimed that Duke was the odds on favorite to land Okafor and Tyus Jones, widely considered to be the top prize of this year's recruiting frenzy.

Looney is playing his first tournament since cutting his list of schools to six last week. Duke, Florida, Michigan State, Tennessee, UCLA and Wisconsin are the finalists for the 6-foot-9 Milwaukee native. Looney had no problem scoring throughout the tournament, but it was his rebounding and defensive prowess that was on display at the Adidas Nations. He averaged 6.8 rebounds, 4.5 blocks and 2.5 steals per contest in his team's first four games.

Winslow hasn't seen much action this summer since returning home from the FIBA U19 World Championship and participating in the Nike Peach Jam, but still turned in 16 points, nine rebounds and three steals in 20 minutes in a blowout victory against Asia.

Suiting up for the USA 2014 Blue squad was Myles Turner, who continues to skyrocket up recruiting boards as the summer wears on. Reports indicate that Turner's lone scheduled visit thus far will be to Kansas for Late Night in the Phog. The forward is expected to cut his list of schools—which currently sits at 26—following the conclusion of Adidas Nations.

Two teams comprised of Class of 2015 prospects helped provide a look further into the future of college basketball. USA 2015 Red featured top recruit Malik Newman alongside 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman and forward Chase Jeter. Newman showed off his efficiency from the floor, notching 15 points in each of his team's first two games. The USA 2015 Blue squad was headlined by Tyler Dorsey, who received a scholarship offer from Duke just last week. Dorsey struggled with his consistency throughout the tournament's opening days.

USA 2014 Blue will battle USA 2014 Red Monday night in the championship game at 9 p.m. Both the championship game and third-place game will be broadcast live on ESPNU.

Share and discuss “Top recruits open August at Adidas Nations” on social media.