Kevon Looney visit set for September, Duke basketball offered Giles in March

With classes beginning at Duke today, students can have one thing to look forward to: heralded 2014 power forward Kevon Looney officially visiting campus the weekend of Sept. 6, per Adam Rowe of Blue Devil Lair. Duke football plays away that weekend, heading to Memphis for a Sept. 7 contest.

Looney, ranked No. 9 in the nation by ESPN, is also expected to visit Florida, Michigan State, Tennessee and UCLA. Wisconsin is also on his list, which he has trimmed to six.

Looney stands at 6-foot-8 or 6-foot-9 while weighing just under 200 lbs. More impressive: his wingspan.

Duke has also apparently offered 2016 F Harry Giles, according to multiple reports. The offer came on a visit Giles made during the Miami game in March. If you don't remember that Miami game, the Blue Devils won 79-76 while Ryan Kelly made 10-of-14 field goals in his return to action. 2014 recruit Justise Winslow was also on hand for that game.

Generic Script

Giles, right now, is still recovering from an ACL/MCL tear he suffered while helping Team USA capture the FIBA Americas gold medal. The Wesleyan Christian Academy (N.C.) also has offers from Florida State, Georgetown, Kentucky, N.C. State, North Carolina, Ohio State and Wake Forest, according to Brian Flinn.

Also, ICYMI, Goodluck Okonoboh tweeted Tuesday afternoon that he had cut his list of schools to five. Duke, Florida, Indiana, Ohio State and UNLV remain in contention to land Okonoboh, ranked the No. 19 recruit in the Class of 2014 by ESPN.

Okonoboh is one of many talented big men being courted by Duke for their 2014 recruiting class. The Blue Devils have also offered scholarships to Jahlil Okafor and Myles Turner.

In other news... 2014 point guard Emmanuel Mudiay committed to Larry Brown and SMU over Kentucky. Mudiay is ranked the No. 5 player overall by ESPN and the second best point guard. The pick came as a shock to many, with NBC Sports noting he picked, "a program that hasn’t made the NCAA tournament since three years before Mudiay was born and whose national relevance is solely tied to their decision to hire the 73 year old Larry Brown — over Kentucky."

Share and discuss “Kevon Looney visit set for September, Duke basketball offered Giles in March” on social media.