‘Where are they now?’ Duke basketball edition: Daniel Ewing

The Blue Zone will be running a summer series bringing you the latest on some of Duke basketball’s former stars. This week, The Blue Zone takes a look at Daniel Ewing.

Generic Script

Daniel Ewing joined the Blue Devils for the 2001-02 season, right after the Blue Devils took home their third national title in program history in Minneapolis. Ewing went on to spend four years wearing Duke blue, improving every season along the way.

Ewing's first season in Durham he made an immediate impression. Though he did not start a single game aas a freshman, he did play in 35 games and average 6.5 points per game while shooting 45.7 percent from beyond the arc. Ewing stepped front and center as a sophomore, starting 15 games and raising his scoring to 12.0 points per game. As a senior he once again made giant strides, asserting himself as one of the top guards in the NCAA, averaging 15.3 points to go along with career-bests in assists at 4.0 and steals at 2.0.

Recognizing Ewing as an NBA commodity, the Los Angeles Clippers made the 6-foot-3 combo guard the No. 32 pick in the 2005 NBA Draft. For two years in Hollywood, Ewing played a consistent role off the bench, averaging 3.4 points and 13.3 minutes per game in two seasons, even starting eight contests.

After being waived by the Clippers in June of 2007, Ewing made the same decision many other NBA players have made, making the jump to Europe in search of a larger role.

Generic Script

Ewing's first European stop was with BC Khimki in Russia, where Ewing averaged 12.1 points and 3.1 assists. After one season with Khimki, Ewing moved on to Polish powerhouse Asseco Prokom. Prokom went on to win the Polish National League all three seasons Ewing played for the club, 2008-09, 2009-10 and 2010-11. Ewing's best season with Prokom was his final season, where he averaged 13.6 points, 3.3 assists and 1.9 steals per game.

After three seasons with Prokom in Poland, Ewing moved on yet again, this time landing with BC Azovmash in the Ukraine. Ewing's experience in Azovmash was similar to that of his in Poland, posting very similar numbers. Ewing's scoring dipped a bit, but he increased his assists by a full assist per game.

Today, Ewing is playing for Besiktas J.K. in Istanbul, Turkey. Ewing suffered a knee injury in late Feburary that cost him about a month of action, but was active when his team lost in the Turkish League playoffs this week. In 32 games this season, Ewing's numbers have been less impressive than they had been in Europe to date. He's averaging 8.0 points and 1.6 assists this year.

Now 30 years old, Ewing's basketball future is likely to play out overseas. Having played for four teams in six seasons, Ewing could see a number of other European cities before he hangs up his sneakers.

Share and discuss “‘Where are they now?’ Duke basketball edition: Daniel Ewing” on social media.