Jon Scheyer officially named Duke basketball special assistant

Former Duke point guard and national champion Jon Scheyer is returning to Durham for the 2013-14 season as a special assistant. The news has been rumored for a couple weeks now as Scheyer finished out his season playing for Gran Canaria in Spain.

Generic Script

Head coach Mike Krzyzewski glowed in his review of Scheyer's return to the program.

"Jon Scheyer is one of the amazing champions we’ve had in this program and he’s certainly one of the greatest young men to ever wear the Duke uniform," Krzyzewski said in a statement. "He’s universally loved by Duke fans. It is incredibly exciting to be part of his journey to become a coach. Jon will add all the things he brought to Duke as a player, this time as a member of our staff. We are so proud that Jon is joining us at Duke."

Scheyer too is excited for his return to the Blue Devils.

“I am extremely fortunate to be able to come back to Duke,” Scheyer said in a release. “It is a tremendous honor to be on Coach K’s staff and it is something I will cherish. I want to continue to learn from the entire staff and bring whatever I can to help the program.”

Scheyer is taking Nate James' role on the bench after James was promoted to assistant coach following Chris Collins' departure to Northwestern.

Scheyer's illustrious Duke career was capped by a senior season in which he was named All-America second team, All-ACC first team, and All-ACC Tournament first team. Though he never played in the NBA, Scheyer played three seasons of professional basketball for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA Development League as well as abroad for Maccabi Tel-Aviv and Gran Canaria.

Share and discuss “Jon Scheyer officially named Duke basketball special assistant” on social media.