The Greek Devil advances in Bracket Battle: Best in College Eats

The madness isn't being constrained to just basketball on Duke's campus. While both the men's and women's basketball teams await their round of 64 games, a food cart has already advanced to the round of 32.

The Greek Devil, owned by Gus Megaloudis, and its now famous gyro are being featured on the Cooking Channel's Bracket Battle: Best in College Eats. Here's an excerpt from The Chronicle's full story on Megaloudis' tournament journey.

“We’re very happy, [and] we’re flattered,” said Gus Megaloudis, owner, operator and manager of the food cart. “There’s so many colleges and great places to eat.”

Visitors to Cooking Channel’s online blog, Devour, can vote for their favorite menu items in the bracket. Voting for the first round ends Thursday. The winner of Best College Eats will be announced April 6 during the NCAA Final Four.

Dishes that made their way onto the bracket had to be served at venues near or on the respective campus, popular among students and “absolutely awesome” according to the blog.

Megaloudis added that he did not apply for the competition, but his food cart was chosen by the Cooking Channel based on restaurant reviews. Megaloudis only found out his restaurant was a competitor after his nephew called him upon seeing the contest online.

The Greek Devil gyro must receive more votes than the chicken cheddar biscuit from Time-Out, a restaurant located on Franklin Street near the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to make it past the first round of the foodie tournament.

“Who else would they put us up against besides Carolina in the brackets?” Megaloudis asked. “The basketball team does their business, and I want to do mine. I don’t care if we don’t come in first, but we’ve got to take care of Carolina.”

Share and discuss “The Greek Devil advances in Bracket Battle: Best in College Eats” on social media.