Smash Mouth to 'get the show on' at Old Duke

Smash Mouth, the rock band behind the 1999 hit “All Star,” will perform at this year’s Old Duke concert April 12. The event is sponsored by Duke University Union.

All that glitters is Old Duke.

The 90s favorite Smash Mouth will perform April 12 as part of Old Duke, the annual musical throwback concert. Duke University Union made the announcement early Tuesday morning, releasing the news with a Harlem Shake dance video.

Sophomore Willa Townsend, DUU Joe College co-chair, said she and co-chair Jordyn Gracey, a junior, prioritized bringing a live band to Old Duke. They chose Smash Mouth as Old Duke’s performer during first semester.

“Smash Mouth is a well-known band from the 90s that has far more than a couple of popular songs,” Townsend said. “They’ll be great live and an awesome way for the student body to come together and relive the 90s.”

The band rose to prominence in the late 90s with hits such as “All Star” and a cover of The Monkees’ “I’m a Believer.”

The Joe College committee spent more money than in past years because the committee felt so strongly about bringing a band, Townsend said, but she declined to comment on how much money was spent to bring Smash Mouth. In past years, Old Duke has featured artists such as rapper and reggae artist Shaggy and the band Sugar Ray.

Students expressed their excitement about the Smash Mouth announcement on Facebook and Twitter, and many commented that they are more excited for the Smash Mouth performance than the LDOC performers, previously announced as Steve Aoki, Kendrick Lamar and Travis Porter.

“Smash Mouth was one of the first CDs I owned,” said senior John McGinty. “I’m definitely stoked to see them live.”

Share and discuss “Smash Mouth to 'get the show on' at Old Duke” on social media.