Kevon Looney receives scholarship offer from Duke basketball

The recruiting class of 2013 is likely complete, so the Duke basketball coaching staff is beginning to more intensely pursue its 2014 priorities and offer new targets scholarships. The newest offer is Kevin Looney.

With no games on the slate this past weekend, Blue Devil head coach Mike Krzyzewski was on the road recruiting in Milwaukee, Wisconsin Friday night to watch Looney play.

A hybrid 6-foot-8 forward, Looney checks in as the No. 6 overall player in the class of 2014, according to ESPN. The long power froward is considered to be a unique prospect due to his combination of length and perimeter skills that make him a difficult matchup.

After the viewing, news broke that Krzyzewski extended a scholarship offer to Looney.

Aside from Duke, Michigan State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Marquette, Cincinnati and Georgetown, among many others, are also courting Looney.

Currently the Blue Devil coaching staff has six offers out to prospects in the junior class: Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor, Theo Pinson, Trey Lyles, Justise Winslow and now Looney. All six are ranked in the top 10 overall in the 2014 class by ESPN.com.

Turning the attention to the committed BlueDevils, all three members of Duke's 2013 recruiting class—Jabari Parker, Semi Ojeleye and Matt Jones—were nominated to play in the McDonald's All American game. The final roster for the iconic high school basketball all-star game will be announced in the coming months.

Ojeleye registered another stellar performance over the weekend, scoring 47 points for Ottawa in a hard-fought win Saturday.

In a win for Simeon Career Academy, Parker netted 20 points and 11 rebounds last Monday night. The Chicago hoops prodigy was also selected to play on the U.S. National team for the Nike Hoops Summit in April.

Share and discuss “Kevon Looney receives scholarship offer from Duke basketball” on social media.