Duke Jewish center sign vandalized

Vandalism was found on a sign outside the Freeman Center for Jewish Life Monday morning. It has since been removed.

The Freeman Center for Jewish Life has cleaned graffiti on its sign along campus drive, but suspects in the incident of vandalism have yet to be found, said Rebecca Simons, director for Jewish life.

The building sign, located on Campus Drive, had blue spray paint over the words “Jewish” and “Rubenstein,” Simons said, who learned of the vandalism Monday morning. The Freeman Center reported the damage to Duke Police Sunday afternoon. The spray paint has since been removed, and the sign has been cleaned.

“We are not aware of any further vandalism or any indicators of who the perpetrators may have been,” Simons wrote in an email Monday.

Rabbi Jeremy Yoskowitz, an assistant director for Jewish life, said he did not believe the incident suggests significant anti-Semitism or bigotry on campus.

“I certainly do not believe that this is in any way indicative of a larger campus issue as this is generally a very respectful campus,” Yoskowitz wrote in an email Monday. “I believe that this is an isolated incident and that in general, Duke students conduct themselves responsibly and honorably.”

Last month, an incident occurred at an event hosted by the Duke Students for Justice in Palestine in November, during which a student destroyed part of the event display and flipped over a table of food. The student, a member of the Jewish Student Union executive board, has apologized for his actions.

Share and discuss “Duke Jewish center sign vandalized” on social media.