Duke basketball vs. Elon updates

Duke 74, Elon 51 (2:50 2nd half): Three pointers started falling again for Duke in this stretch, with Kelly, Cook, and Curry all connecting from long-range. With the lead at a comfortable 23-point margin, Alex Murphy has gotten off the bench while Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly get much deserved rest.

Duke 58, Elon 41 (7:48 2nd half): Both teams have regained their first half form, trading baskets and quickening the pace. Unfortunately for Elon, when trailing by 17 the team can ill-afford to continue to allow Duke to score. Mason Plumlee and Rasheed Sulaimon are the only two Blue Devils in double-figures.

Duke 49, Elon 35 (11:23 2nd half): Tyler Thornton ends Duke's shooting slump with back-to-back three-pointers, his first baskets of the game. With Kelly, Cook, and Curry all 2-for-9 from the field, the team is searching for a second option to Mason Plumlee on the offensive end tonight. Duke's 14 point lead is the largest of the game.

Duke 43, Elon 32 (14:42 2nd half): Mason Plumlee was a man possessed early this half, but his aggression resulted in a third personal foul and a trip to the bench. While Duke continues to misfire on its jumpers, a rejuvenated defensive effort has allowed the Blue Devils to open up their largest lead of the game, 11.

Duke 35, Elon 27 (Halftime): After Mason Plumlee picked up his second foul late in the first half, Duke got a big lift from Quinn Cook, who buried a buzzer-beating three to give Duke an eight point advantage at the half. While succeeding from beyond the arc -- 4-for-6 -- Duke has struggled from two-point range, shooting 9-of-24 from inside the three-point line. The Blue Devils have also been struggling controlling the basketball, coughing up the rock nine times compared to eight assists. Most surprisingly perhaps, is the struggle Duke is having at the free throw line. The team is just 5-for-11, and Seth Curry -- shooting 90.5 percent from the line coming into the game -- has hit only one of his five attempts. Sebastian Koch has been the star for Elon early, going 3-for-3 to score a team-high 11 points. Koch is also leading the team in rebounding with four.

Duke 28, Elon 25 (3:01, 1st half): This game has a very similar feel to the game last night, with Elon playing Duke very closely the whole way. Every time Duke hits a shot, Elon has come back at the other end and responded, lead by Sebastian Koch's prolific three-point shooting. Kelly and Plumlee are shouldering the load offensively with eight points each. Sulaimon and Kelly both have two assists on the night.

Duke 20, Elon 18 (7:46, 1st half): No whistle was blown between the 12:00 and 8:00 minute marks, leaving both teams winded and missing on jumpers. Plumlee continues to star for Duke, scoring eight points and grabbing seven rebounds. Sebastian Koch has provided the offense for the Phoenix, hitting two three-pointers and scoring eight points of his own in the first 12 minutes.

Duke 9, Elon 7 (15:39, 1st half): Sloppy play from both sides early in this one. Duke is having some uncharacteristic problems early turning the ball over with regularity and misfiring on free throws. Mason Plumlee is off to a blistering start, 2-2 from the field and four rebounds in the first four minutes of action.

Projected Starters:

Duke: Quinn Cook, Seth Curry, Rasheed Sulaimon, Ryan Kelly, Mason Plumlee

Elon: Austin Hamilton, Sebastian Koch, Jack Isenbarger, Lucas Troutman, Ryley Beaumont

Here are some pregame notes:

• Redshirt freshman Marshall Plumlee will miss tonight's game after leaving last night's debut with discomfort in his foot that was caused by an orthodic device in his shoe.
  • Duke is playing its second game in as many nights after defeating Cornell last night 88-47
  • ESPN No. 2 recruit Jabari Parker verbally committed to Duke this afternoon, joining Matt Jones and Semi Ojeleye in the Blue Devils 2013 recruiting class

Share and discuss “Duke basketball vs. Elon updates” on social media.