Maryland bolts to the Big Ten

The days of Maryland/Duke basketball as we know it are over. The Terrapins are scheduled to announce this afternoon that they have accepted an invitation to join the Big Ten Conference for the 2014-15 academic year. In addition to Maryland, the Big Ten will also add Rutgers, bringing the conference total to 14.

The cash-strapped Maryland athletic department sees the move to the Big Ten as an opportunity for future earnings, as the conference will soon be getting a new, massive television deal. However, Maryland athletics still needs to pay the $50 million buyout to leave the ACC, no small sum of money for a university that recently had to cut athletic teams due to financial restraints. Maryland was one of only two ACC universities -- along with Florida State -- who voted against raising the exit fee to $50 million.

ACC Commissioner John Swofford issued the following statement regarding Maryland's move:

"Our best wishes are extended to all of the people associated with the University of Maryland. Since our inception, they have been an outstanding member of our conference and we are sorry to see them exit. For the past 60 years the Atlantic Coast Conference has exhibited leadership in academics and athletics. This is our foundation and we look forward to building on it as we move forward.”

Despite Maryland's exit, the ACC will be larger in the next few years that it has been in the past. Syracuse and Pitt will be joining the conference next year, and Notre Dame will soon follow in every sport except football, where they will remain independent.

Share and discuss “Maryland bolts to the Big Ten” on social media.