Duke basketball 2012-2013 player preview: Mason Plumlee

In the week leading up to Duke basketball’s first game of the season Friday against Georgia State, The Blue Zone will preview all the expected contributors on this 2012-2013 squad, beginning with the freshman Monday and ending with the seniors Friday.

Mason Plumlee

Generic Script

• Year: Senior
  • Height: 6-foot-10
  • Position: F
  • Last year’s key statistics: 11.1 PPG, 9.2 RPG, 0.8 SPG, 1.6 BPG

Game Breakdown: Mason Plumlee is simply a force to be reckoned with on both ends of the court. With his 6-foot-10 size and impressive athleticism, Plumlee won’t be pushed around in his senior season. He defends the rim with length and a shot blocking presence, and he is among the best rebounders in the nation. His elite level of athleticism allows him to run the court well, which leads to easy and entertaining dunks in transition. Plumlee’s production in 2011-12 was strong, but with the departure of his brother Miles from the frontcourt, Mason will need to produce now more than ever. He has had issues with foul trouble in the past, but the senior captain will need to find a way to stay on the floor this season.

The big question for Plumlee this year, like in previous seasons, will be his free throw shooting. Due to his strength and size, defenders have a hard time keeping Plumlee out of the paint and off the rim, as is evident by his 57.2 field goal percentage last year. Teams foul Plumlee often when he makes his moves on the block, and he may even experience the Hack-a-Shaq treatment in close games if his free throw struggles persist. If Plumlee can keep his free throw performance somewhat consistent, look for his point totals to balloon.

Role on the team: With Miles Plumlee now gone, expect Mason to become an even bigger factor on both the offense and defensive ends. Mason will likely play 30-plus minutes each game, and will be counted on to control the boards and be the intimidator in the paint. The success of Plumlee’s post-up game will be huge this year on the offensive end. If Plumlee gets going early on in games, that will spread the floor for Duke’s guards to knock-down shots from long range.

Player comparison: One could equate Plumlee’s combination of size and strength to that of Kris Humphries of the Brooklyn Nets. Each are aggressive forces on the boards and outhustle their opponents up and down the court. Humphries is an under the radar double-double posting machine. Plumlee hovered around these numbers last year, and he should expect to surpass those averages in his final season.

Projected stat line: 15.4 PPG, 10.8 RPG, 3.2 APG, 1.8 SPG, 2.6 BPG

Who we’ve already previewed: Amile JeffersonRasheed SulaimonAlex MurphyMarshall Plumlee,Quinn CookTyler Thornton, Josh Hairston and Seth Curry.

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2012-2013 player preview: Mason Plumlee” on social media.