Soccer Scorecard 9/17/12

This weekend, the men’s team remained home to take on Clemson in their ACC home opener, while the women’s team ended a five-day road trip against Miami.

Men’s Soccer:

Friday

Duke 2, Clemson 0

Duke showed an all around impressive performance in their ACC home opener. The Blue Devils (3-3-0, 1-1-0 in the ACC) captured their second consecutive shutout with a stellar defensive performance. Duke’s defense has been the hallmark of the squad this season, while their offense had previously struggled to find goals. Despite a number of opportunities, the Blue Devils were unable to connect, ending the first half 0-0.

Coming into the second half, the Blue Devils were on the defensive as senior James Belshaw made four saves, including one on a point-blank shot in the 65th minute. Duke was finally able to connect in the 68th minute, when a throw-in by Ryan Thompson found sophomore Riley Wolfe, who finished it for his second career goal. Less than five minutes later, a handball by Clemson gave the Blue Devils their second goal of the night, as Belshaw finished the penalty kick.

Women’s Soccer:

Sunday

Duke 3, Miami 2

Ending their second five-day road trip of the season, the Blue Devils (7-2-0, 1-1-0 in the ACC) showed a superb offensive effort against the Hurricanes. Duke took an early lead in the first half after junior Gilda Doria served freshman Cassie Pecht an opportunistic pass in the 12th minute. Pecht found the back of the net, putting the Blue Devils up 1-0 for the close of the first half.

The second half would remain scoreless until the 79th minute in which a goal off a corner kick tied the match up. Duke quickly countered, as redshirt junior Kim DeCesare seized her seventh goal of the year to give the Blue Devils a 2-1 lead. However, with less than a minute left Miami scored another goal off a corner-kick play to bring the match to overtime. Six minutes into overtime, junior Laura Weinberg followed up a shot by sophomore Katie Trees to finish the match.

Share and discuss “Soccer Scorecard 9/17/12” on social media.