Duke field hockey seeks bounce back

In Duke’s win against Georgia State Tuesday, it accomplished exactly what it set out to do—bring excitement to the offense and tighten up the defense. Sebastien Ibeagha was the offensive spark the Blue Devils needed, scoring two second-half goals and igniting an offense that had scored three goals in its first four games.

Friday Duke will try to keep its offense rolling as the Blue Devils take on the Clemson Tigers at 7 p.m. at Koskinen Stadium.

Clemson (1-3-2, 0-0-1 in the ACC) comes into the game hoping to turn its season around, having failed to earn a victory in its past five matches. The Tigers were the victims of tough scheduling with their early season games. Their last four games have all come against top 25 teams. They most recently dropped their match against No. 24 Alabama Birmingham 2-0.

Although the Blue Devils (2-3, 0-1) are coming off an exciting victory and are entering heavier ACC play, the attendance at games has been steeply declining, with each of their three home games garnering 300 fewer fans than the last. Head coach John Kerr is looking to increase enthusiasm about the up and coming Blue Devils, who he believes can surprise some people.

“The support our fans could give us would be huge, if they come out in numbers and be loud and support their team,” Kerr said. “I think it would give us a huge boost in ACC play. And ACC play, they’re one-offs in terms of anyone can beat anyone.”

Two of Duke’s next five games will be at home against ACC opponents, including on September 28th. Friday’s game will be the Blue Devils’ chance to get back to .500 and show their fans and the rest of the ACC that they are a force to be reckoned with.

Share and discuss “Duke field hockey seeks bounce back” on social media.