More postseason accolades for Duke's Costabile

Duke’s C.J. Costabile has been selected as the 2012 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award winner in NCAA Division I men’s lacrosse, according to a press release issued Sunday morning. The announcement and trophy presentation were made today by Lowe’s, an official Corporate Partner of the NCAA, during the NCAA Division I Men’s Lacrosse Championship.

Costabile was chosen by a nationwide vote of Division I men’s lacrosse head coaches, national media and fans as the most outstanding senior student-athlete. The Senior CLASS Award recognizes seniors who have notable achievements in four areas of excellence—community, classroom, character, and competition.

A 2012 First-Team All-American and ACC Co-Defensive Player of the Year, Costabile has recorded a team-high 137 ground balls this season, adding six goals and four assists. He picked up a career-high 15 ground balls in Duke’s NCAA quarterfinal victory over Colgate.

Off the field, in addition to being an All-ACC academic selection, the Tewaaraton Trophy finalist has been active in Duke’s community service initiatives. Along with many of his Blue Devil teammates, Costabile has volunteered his time at a local Ronald McDonald house, cooking dinner for Durham families in need. He also volunteers his time at Duke Children’s Hospital.

“This is a great honor, not only for C.J., but for the entire Duke lacrosse program. C.J. is a great young man and is just one of many outstanding men who have come through our program,” head coach John Danowski said. “He has shown great dedication not only on the field, but also in the classroom as well as in our many community service projects. It’s fantastic that he is being recognized.”

Costabile also received the Lt. j.g. Donald Maclaughlin Jr. Award as the nation’s top midfielder earlier this week.

Share and discuss “More postseason accolades for Duke's Costabile” on social media.