Duke in the NCAAs update

The Duke women's tennis and women's golf teams have begun their respective journeys in NCAA play. While the women's golf team has struggled through two days of action, the tennis team cruised to victory in their first-round matchup.

The women's golf team is in the NCAA east regional at Penn State and now sits in fifth place after two days in the three-day event. On day two the Blue Devils registered the second-best score of the day with a five-over-par 293. They now have a five-day total of 595.

This represents a strong improvement after Duke's rough first day in which they finished tied for last among the 12 teams in the east regional. Sophomore Alejandra Cangrejo injured herself midway through the first round, forcing the Blue Devils to play the second day with just four golfers.

Lindy Duncan has the best individual score of any Duke golfer and ranks sixth with a two-round score of 145. The top eight teams advance to the NCAA championships while the top two individuals not a part of those eight teams also advance. The tournament concludes Saturday with 18 more holes.

Back in Durham, the women's tennis team crushed Winthrop in its first round matchup, winning 4-0 Friday afternoon on their home court at Ambler Tennis Stadium. Duke moved to 13-0 on the season at home, tying its record for home wins in a season.

The women's tennis squad continues play at Ambler Tennis Stadium Saturday against South Carolina at 3 p.m.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NCAAs update” on social media.