Seven VP positions decided by election

Undergraduates elected the 2012-2013 Duke Student Government committee vice presidents Monday.

Of the seven vice president posts, only the positions for Durham and regional affairs and equity and outreach were contested. Freshman Derek Rhodes was elected vice president of Durham and regional affairs, and sophomore Stefani Jones was elected vice president of equity and outreach, Attorney General James Lee, a senior, wrote in an email Monday. Lee is also the managing editor for online at The Chronicle.

Additionally, freshman Tre’ Scott will serve as vice president for services, sophomore Neil Kondamuri will serve as vice president for social culture and junior George Carotenuto will serve as vice president for facilities and environment. Freshman Jacob Zionce will serve as vice president for residential life, and freshman Nikolai Doytchinov will serve as vice president for academic affairs.

“I’m really excited to work with all of the candidates,” said President-elect Alex Swain, a junior. “Most of the positions were unopposed, but all of the people elected are worthy of the position, and they are all hard workers.”

Rhodes, a senator for Durham and regional affairs, garnered 65 percent of the vote in a race against freshman Miranda Goodwin-Raab and sophomore Kelly Scurry, both Durham and regional affairs senators. Scurry and Goodwin-Raab received 20.5 and 13.2 percent of the votes, respectively.

“I’m overwhelmed by all of the support I received from the student body, and I will not let them down,” Rhodes said. “All of the candidates were great.... I hope they will still choose to be a part of the committee.”

Jones, a senator for athletics, services and the environment, won the position of vice president of equity and outreach against junior Ayan Salah, a senator for student life. Jones won 71.4 percent of the votes, and Salah received 27.1 percent.

“I’m really humbled,” Jones said. “This position specifically is all about student interest and representing student groups on campus, so it means a lot to know that people think I am the kind of person they want representing them on campus.”

In addition to deciding vice presidential races, students also elected DSG senators and class presidents and vice president.

Sophomores Marcus Benning and Elizabeth Tobierre and freshman Crystal Chukawurah will serve as senators for Durham and regional affairs. Freshman Max Ramseyer will serve as senator for equity and outreach, and freshmen Josh Izzard and Laurel Koch will serve as senators for academic affairs. Additionally, freshman Cameron Tripp will serve as senator for facilities and environment, freshman Yue Dai will serve as senator for residential life and freshmen Michael Washington and Tiffany Kearse will serve as senators for services.

Elysia Pan was elected president of the Class of 2013, but a vice president was not elected for the rising senior class because no one ran for the position. Swetha Iruku and Samantha Koh were elected president and vice president, respectively, of the Class of 2014. Bret Lesavoy and Ray Li were elected president and vice president, respectively, of the Class of 2015.

Share and discuss “Seven VP positions decided by election” on social media.