Mackler key to Duke's success down the road

Despite an early exit from the ACC tournament for No. 6 Duke women's lacrosse team last weekend, Blue Devil goalie Mollie Mackler provided a strong performance against eventual tournament champion No. 4 Maryland.

For the first 22 minutes of the game, Mackler shut the Terrapins out, preserving a 1-0 Duke lead.

Maryland entered the game with the ACC’s highest scoring offense—averaging 14.68 goals per game—and the conference’s leading scorer and eventual tournament MVP, Katie Schwarzmann. The Duke defense struggled to slow down Maryland’s offense, forcing just one turnover and allowing 28 shots.

Mackler, however, held the Terrapins to 12 goals, and made just as many saves for her fourth double-digit game of the season. In addition, Maryland only managed to score one of five free position opportunities.

Keeping the deficit under double digits and the Blue Devils’ hopes alive, the All-ACC honoree did not allow a goal in the final 18 minutes of the game. Mackler also provided vocal leadership for Duke, who played the final 27 minutes without All-ACC midfielder Kim Wenger after she earned her second yellow card.

With the NCAA tournament ahead, the rest of the Blue Devil squad will have to elevate its level of play to match Mackler’s. Although attacker Emma Hamm earned all-tournament honors for her 6 draw-control performance, Duke’s offense tied a tournament record for fewest goals scored with three. To make a deep run in the NCAA tournament, the Blue Devils will need better execution.

Share and discuss “Mackler key to Duke's success down the road” on social media.