IFC endorses Brown and Oathout

Having met with all the candidates, the Interfraternity Council has voted to formally endorse junior Chris Brown for president and sophomore Patrick Oathout for executive vice president in the upcoming Duke Student Government elections.

Brown’s experience, having served two years in both the DSG Senate and executive board in addition to a year on the cabinet, has undoubtedly prepared him to tackle the challenges facing Duke’s campus this upcoming year. While the current DSG administration was hugely instrumental laying the framework policy around the new house model, Brown’s drive and passion will be indispensable in its implementation. Brown demonstrated to us an understanding of these issues and a commitment to incorporating ground-level student concerns into the administration’s new model for campus living. In addition, as a council we have noticed an increasingly paternal attitude from the administration. Brown seems to us most capable of and dedicated to working with the administration in a cooperative yet firm manner so as to enable a Duke community created from the ground up. The Interfraternity Council is confident he will be an effective and successful student government president, and is proud to endorse him.

For executive vice president, we endorse sophomore Patrick Oathout. Given his knowledge of the issues facing our Council and his commitment to dialogue pertaining to academic, social and civic issues on campus, we are confident Oathout will well serve the Duke community.

Moreover, the council and I wish the best of luck to all participating candidates and strongly encourage all members of the Duke community to participate in the vote this Thursday.

Andrew Bentley, Trinity ‘12

President, Interfraternity Council

Share and discuss “IFC endorses Brown and Oathout” on social media.