Alex Swain voted DSG president

Junior Alex Swain will lead Duke Student Government in the 2012-2013 academic year.

Swain, current DSG vice president for Durham and regional affairs, was elected president Thursday, winning 1,465 votes, 57.7 percent of the total ballots cast. Swain defeated juniors Chris Brown, DSG external chief of staff, and Strat Waldt, DSG senator for residential life and dining, who received 30.9 percent and 10.1 percent of votes, respectively. Write-in candidates received the remaining votes, said DSG Attorney General James Lee, also managing editor for online of The Chronicle.

““I feel amazing,” Swain said. “It’s really great to know that students support me. I look forward to working with them for the next year.”

Sophomore Patrick Oathout, senator for athletics, services and the environment, was elected DSG executive vice president. Oathout, who ran unopposed, won 89.7 percent of the votes.

“It’s a great way to give back to a school that’s given me so much,” Oathout said.

A total of 2,542 undergraduates voted in the election, yielding a turnout of approximately 39 percent. Last year, DSG held one election for the president, executive vice president and committee vice presidential positions, which garnered a turnout of 49.2 percent.

Although the turnout was lower compared to last year’s election, the candidates did a better job engaging the student body on the issues, Lee said. The presidential debate held Wednesday drew a larger audience and attention through social media.

Swain noted that her priorities as president include promoting a more equitable social culture, making the house model transition and the West Union Building renovations a positive experience for students and fostering stronger relationship between DSG and the student body.

“She’s going to be a really effective president,” Oathout said. “I’m excited to be standing next to her.”

There were no violations or complaints filed, Lee added. An instant runoff did not occur because Swain received the majority of votes.

Senior Pete Schork, current DSG president, said the campaign offered an opportunity to discuss a variety of issues affecting the student body.

“Campaigns are always a great time to lay everything out on the table,” Schork said. “My hope is that the energy and ethic of improvement isn’t just campaign rhetoric and is actually acted upon, but I have confidence that Alex and Patrick will be able to follow through on that.”

A referendum to expand the number of Senate committees from five to seven and reduce the Judiciary term limit from two years to one year passed by a margin of 55.5 percent to 8.1 percent, with 36.4 percent abstaining. The measure will also reform the veto and impeachment process outlined in the DSG constitution to prevent conflict with internal bylaws.

Share and discuss “Alex Swain voted DSG president” on social media.