Mullen earns first-ever win

The Blue Devils had a strong showing Saturday at the Davidson Open where they grabbed nine top-four finishes, including three individual titles. Among these, senior Chris Mullen secured his first career tournament win at 141 pounds.

Mullen earned a first period fall against Tanner Yates of Limestone in his opening match. He went on to win his next three matches by a combined seven points, enough to qualify him for the title bout. In defeating Melchisedac LaVergne of Anderson College in the finals 9-4, Mullen secured the first place finish.

Redshirt freshman Brandon Gambucci was also able to post a title in the 133-pound bracket. Gambucci earned the title by defeating Appalachian State’s Brett Boston 7-2 in the final round, his 14th win of the year.

The final match in the 149-pound bracket pitted two Blue Devils against each other as freshman Marcus Cain defeated redshirt sophomore AJ Guardado in the title match.

Including the title wins by Gambucci and Cain, the freshmen were able to contribute five of Duke’s nine top four finishes. Freshman Andrew DeHart earned second place at 157 pounds after a loss in the title match. Redshirt freshman Immanuel Kerr-Brown found himself in third place after being denied a shot at the title when he lost to DeHart. Freshman Trey Adamson was runner-up at 174 pounds.

Redshirt junior Peter Terrezza came in at third in the 125-pound division. At 165 pounds, sophomore Ryan Harding was able to add another top finish to the Blue Devil record earning fourth place.

—from staff reports

Share and discuss “Mullen earns first-ever win” on social media.