Political science department to move out of Perkins

The Duke political science department will relocate from its current location in Perkins Library and the Old Chemistry Building, likely to the Gross Chemistry Building.

The political science department will soon have a new home.

Although the exact relocation has not yet been determined, the political science department­—currently spread out between the third floor of Perkins Library and the Old Chemistry Building—must move once Perkins Library undergoes its next wave of construction, which is slated to begin in phases in late 2012. The renovations to the library are made possible by a $13.6 million contribution in August from David Rubenstein, Trinity ’70 and co-founder and managing director of The Carlyle Group.

The department will most likely move to the Gross Chemistry Building, though this is not a “done deal,” said Scott de Marchi, director of undergraduate studies in the political science department.

“[There has been a] long-standing push to get a gift to renovate the library­—this was always in the works,” de Marchi said.

The Gross Chemistry Building—located on Science Drive in between the Duke Law School Building and the French Family Science Center—is less centrally located and less visually appealing than the Sanford School of Public Policy, de Marchi said.

“Gross is not entirely a great space,” de Marchi said.

Although Perkins Library faculty members and graduate students must relocate, those currently located in the Old Chemistry Building will not be affected by the move.

“I’m not anxious to leave, but things happen,” said Michael Gillespie, Jerry G. and Patricia Crawford Hubbard professor of political science. “Moving itself is just disruptive.”

Provost Peter Lange and Executive Vice President Tallman Trask have been contemplating the decision to move the political science department as early as the beginning of Fall semester, de Marchi said.

Karen Remmer, chair of the department, declined to comment.

Some students said they prefer the department’s current location.

“I had not heard that [the department could move],” said John Sokolowski, a junior majoring in political science. “It would be an inconvenience [if the department moves] because all of my classes are on [the Main West Quadrangle].”

Junior Harry Liberman, also a political science major, said he sees the move resulting from less priority placed on the political science department and more emphasis on the public policy school.

Moving the department to the Gross Chemistry Building may result in some offices becoming smaller. Gillespie noted that he would lose his current office, adding that a new office would be half the size of his current one.

“Our hope was that we would always stay on West, then go to Old Chem with the rest of the department,” Gillespie said.

Share and discuss “Political science department to move out of Perkins” on social media.