McGary spurns Duke for Michigan

Mike Krzyzewski and his staff ramped up their recruiting efforts late in the process with Class of 2012 power forward Mitch McGary, but their late surge was not enough to prevent McGary from choosing to stay closer to home and attend the University of Michigan. McGary announced his decision Thursday afternoon on ESPNU's Recruiting Nation program.

The Chesterton, Ind. native has seen his stock skyrocket over the past year, ending up at No. 2 overall on ESPN's Class of 2012 recruiting rankings. McGary's AAU coach, Wayne Brumm, has favored the Wolverines throughout the power forward's recruitment, and his influence undoubtedly helped sway the top recruit away from the Blue Devils. Michigan has been involved with McGary longer than either Duke or Florida, the other two schools who he named in his final three. McGary and Brumm have both stated that they are impressed with the Wolverine coaching staff's handling of big men, and McGary knows he won't have to fight for playing time in Ann Arbor, where he will step in and immediately be expected to play significant minutes.

With Miles Plumlee graduating and Mason Plumlee a threat to depart a year early for the riches of the NBA, and McGary off the board, Duke could face a dire need for big men on the 2012-13 roster. Now, the last hope to add depth in the post is another Class of 2012 recruit, Tony Parker. The Blue Devil coaching staff has come on hard in recruiting the Lithonia, Ga. product, who is expected to sign a letter of intent during the Nov. 9-16 early signing period. Little is known about Parker's preferences, but he is believed to be choosing between Duke, Ohio State and UCLA. The Blue Devils also await a decision from talented wing player Shabazz Muhammad, the No. 1 prospect in the class, though Krzyzewski and Duke are not believed to be in the lead for Muhammad either.

Share and discuss “McGary spurns Duke for Michigan” on social media.