The home in Dur-home

Whether you scoff at the collection of tents and bodies on the Chapel Quad or admire it, the Occupy Duke movement has challenged many students to think critically about political participation. Moving beyond classroom lectures and discussions, the encampment has tried to call attention to the importance of political engagement and locate Duke students in the broader political landscape. But whether its protesting on the quad or puzzling over election data in a Political Science seminar, political engagement remains incomplete without the casting of a ballot.

The Durham municipal election on Tuesday, November 8 provides students who are passionate about political involvement an opportunity to translate their beliefs into action. Students who have been traditionally uninterested in politics, likewise, have a chance to learn about and influence local politics. Up for grabs in this election are the mayoral seat and three city council positions. The ballot will also contain a proposal to increase sales tax by half of a percent to fund transit improvements and an additional proposal for a quarter-percent sales tax increase for education.

Duke students have more at stake in next week’s election than they may realize. Issues of crime and community safety, especially for those living off campus, have become increasingly important in the wake of several break-ins over the last few months, and electing municipal representatives who will deal with crime effectively and in a way that benefits the greater community remains a priority. Both mayoral candidates, Sylvester Williams and William Bell, have outlined their stance on crime in Durham in responses to candidate questionnaires published by the Independent Weekly. Several candidates seeking city council seats have also responded to Indy Week’s questionnaire, and many have provided detailed position statements on a range of issues. The candidates for city council, one of whom is a faculty member at Duke, will sketch these positions among others when they speak to students on Thursday night at 6 p.m. in the Old Trinity Room.

Moreover, the passage of a half-percent sales tax for improving transit in the Triangle would have significant ramifications for Duke students who either travel regularly within the Triangle or who wish to do so. If approved by neighboring counties, the increase in sales tax would expand bus service, fund commuter rail and establish a light rail service between Durham and UNC Chapel Hill, making travel in the region faster and easier.

Although the quarter-percent sales tax increase for education does not directly affect most students, the state of the local schools represents a salient and deeply important community issue worthy of our attention. Given that so many Duke students profess to care about inequality and social justice, voting on the future of education in our community—even if it is ours for only a short while­—seems like a natural extension of that civic spirit.

Most importantly, participating in local politics gives students a stake in Durham. Voting in an election encourages us to research candidates and issues, and, ultimately, to gain a more nuanced understanding of the problems facing our community. Students who feel invested in their community and understand how it can be improved will seek out opportunities to engage it and better it.

A previous version of this editorial incorrectly listed Thomas Stith as a mayoral candidate. The Chronicle regrets this error.

Share and discuss “The home in Dur-home” on social media.