DukeEngage international application deadline approaches

Students rush to piece together their applications for the DukeEngage international group programs, which are due Tuesday, Nov. 8.

Now entering its fifth year, DukeEngage is an eight-week program for Duke undergraduates to participate in immersive civil engagement work during the summer time. Launched in 2007 through a $30 million endowment from the Duke Endowment and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the program has since funded more than 1,400 students to service communities in more than fifty nations around the world. Participating students worked on mentoring programs, health education initiatives and even environmental education documentaries.

“While focusing primarily on civic engagement, DukeEngage tries to expose students to the cultural and political atmospheres of the communities as well,” said Eric Mlyn, executive director of DukeEngage. “This year, we are planning to send around 435 students to our various programs.”

Although DukeEngage has only been running for five years, it has already produced visible results, Mlyn said.

“Our research shows that students find DukeEngage to be a high-impact program,” he said. “It not only helps students gauge the type of academic and career paths they want to pursue, but also influences how they see themselves in the world.”

The perks of DukeEngage are multifaceted. Depending on the location, students will also be able to participate in language training classes, enrichment activities, and trips to town hall to immerse themselves in the community. In addition, all expenses relating to DukeEngage from travel to meals are accounted for, either from a stipend or directly from the program itself. Participants who are receiving need-based financial aid will also receive a summer earnings waiver.

With so many offerings available, DukeEngage has become widely popular among undergraduates on campus.

“The applications for DukeEngage really track the demographics on campus, from all majors and all years,” Mlyn said.

The rise in popularity, however, also brings about a heightened amount of competition for the program.

“In general, our international programs have more demand, but there are domestic programs that have more demand than some international programs,” Mlyn said. “For example, applications for DukeEngage in Ireland, New Orleans and Cape Town, South Africa are typically more than double the number of slots available.”

Despite the odds, many students are still willing to test their luck in hopes of joining on this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

“I know it’s a pretty difficult application process,” said freshman Jason Pedowitz. “But the experience of DukeEngage is not something I’m willing to pass up on.”

For prospective students who are still wishing to apply for this summer’s DukeEngage programs, there are some tips to follow. To maximize your chances, students are encouraged to apply their freshmen year and get a glimpse of the application process.

“One thing to pay attention to is that students should not limit themselves to just international programs,” Mlyn said.”In fact, there is a fascinating array of domestic programs. The DukeEngage program in South Carolina is very involved with teaching youths in the area.”

With the success of DukeEngage growing, the program will surely expand in the years to come.

“My hope is that DukeEngage will be able to spread its offerings and meet student demand,” Mlyn said. “We are currently talking to friends of the university to raise money for more resources to give to our students.”

Share and discuss “DukeEngage international application deadline approaches” on social media.