DeCesare, Doria lead Duke to College Cup

A hard-fought 2-0 win over Long Beach State earned Duke a place in the NCAA tournament semifinals for the first time since 1992, and the second time in its history.

The Blue Devils scored two goals in the second half courtesy of midfielders Gilda Doria and Kim DeCesare. In the end Duke outshot the 49ers 16-3, but Tara Campbell was not required to make a save all night as none of Long Beach State's efforts were on target.

In a slow first half where no shots were taken in the first ten minutes, Duke came to life and Kelly Cobb forced a good save from the 49ers goalkeeper. On another occasion she hit the crossbar after being sent clear of the defense. This would be the best chance of the half.

The second half started better for the Blue Devils, and the goal eventually came after sophomore Mollie Pathman beat a defender down the left wing and sent in a cross that DeCesare headed in.

Less than ten minutes later, the 49ers failed to clear a corner-kick and Doria, who had taken the corner, was able to win the ball before turning and lashing it into the back of the net for the first goal of her career, and securing Duke's passage to the semifinals.

The Blue Devils advance to play Wake Forest on Friday, while on the other side of the bracket Stanford will play Florida State for a place in the final.

Check The Chronicle on Monday for a full recap and analysis of the game.

Share and discuss “DeCesare, Doria lead Duke to College Cup” on social media.