SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Country’s top goalkeepers showcased in Chestnut Hill

When Duke meets Boston College, goals will be especially hard to come by. The Blue Devils have not conceded a goal for 381 minutes, and the Eagles have only given up three goals all season.

No. 4 Duke (12-1-1, 4-0-1 in the ACC) will look to open up its road trip against three top-20 teams with a victory at No. 7 Boston College (9-0-2, 4-0-0) tonight at 7 p.m at Newton Soccer Field.

Last year, the Blue Devils took down the Eagles 3-0, but they will struggle to score that many goals against a Boston College defense led by goalkeeper Jillian Mastroianni, who ranks fourth in the nation in save percentage. As a unit, the back line has limited its opponents to a mere 8.5 shots on goal per game.

Despite Boston College’s strength on defense, though, Duke head coach Robbie Church sees an opportunity for the Blue Devils’ strikers.

“I think our forwards can get at their backs,” Church said. “I think that matchup will be important, but we’ve got to finish our opportunities.”

Freshman Kelly Cobb leads the Duke offense and will look to continue her success in big games. With eight goals—including five game-winners—Cobb leads the Blue Devils in scoring. Sophomore Kaitlyn Kerr has also showcased her abilities in key matches, racking up four goals and three assists on the year.

“Kelly Cobb is showing the ability to play at her best against the better teams [in the nation],” Church said. “Kaitlyn Kerr is the same way.”

Sophomore Mollie Pathman will not play Thursday because she is training with the United States U-23 national team. In her absense, classmate Laura Weinberg, who has found the net five times this year, will take a larger role.

“Laura Weinberg will go from the right side to the left side, which will give her more balls,” Church said. “We are a kind of left-side team and do attack on the left side more, and with Mollie gone, Laura switches sides, and she will get more of the ball. The decisions that she makes and what she does on an aggressive attack will be very important.”

Duke will also challenge the Eagles’ forwards with a stout defense of its own. The Blue Devils recently completed their fourth straight shutout last week against Virginia Tech behind outstanding play from goalkeeper Tara Campbell, who has tied a school record with nine shutouts in 14 games.

“I think we have two of the best goalkeepers in the country playing together,” Church said. “Possibly a preview of the first-team All-ACC goalkeepers this year.”

Boston College will be without junior midfielder Kristen Mewis, who is also training with the United States U-23 national squad. Mewis leads the Eagles with six goals and five assists, but with 10 different Boston College players finding the back of the net this year, goals could come from anywhere. Her absence will require freshman Stephanie McCaffery and junior Victoria Dimartio to step up into bigger roles.

“Hopefully we can just step onto their home field and attack,” junior midfielder Nicole Lipp said. “Show them something that maybe other teams have struggled with in the past. Kind of shake them up a little bit.”

Share and discuss “Country’s top goalkeepers showcased in Chestnut Hill” on social media.