As contact period ends, top guards prepare for CTC visit

The Duke coaching staff finished the recruiting contact period last week in Las Vegas by watching the class of 2012’s top player, Shabazz Muhammad. In Muhammad’s blog on ESPNHS, he praised the Kentucky and Duke staffs for being the last to visit him.

“I had a lot of visitors during this contact period," Muhammad wrote, "but yeah the last two schools that came to see me were Kentucky and Duke. That means something to me.”

Furthermore, he discussed the attractive sales pitch made by the staff.

“Coach K definitely has the best sales pitch," Muhammad wrote. "He talks a lot about the Duke brand and what he could do for me and how he could develop me and about all of the exposure that I could get at Duke.”

According to his blog, Muhammad is still considering eight or nine schools. The Las Vegas native is not expected to announce a decision until the spring.

As the season gets underway Friday, Duke will host a trio of guards for Countdown to Craziness. Per his Twitter account, Duke’s lone commit for 2012, Rasheed Sulaimon, will make his first visit to Duke as a committed Blue Devil. Matt Jones, a sharpshooting 2013 shooting guard from De Soto, Texas, will make his first trip to Duke after receiving a scholarship offer this summer. In an interview with basketballelite.com, local standout JaQuel Richmond, a 2014 point guard from High Point, N.C., said he will also be in attendance.

In other news: Cameron Indoor Stadium will host several of the nation’s top high school teams in the first annual Clash at Cameron on Dec. 17, 2011. The event will feature Duke targets Jabari Parker and Mitch McGary.

Share and discuss “As contact period ends, top guards prepare for CTC visit” on social media.