Renfree's precision leads Duke to first victory

The most intriguing numbers to arise out of Duke's Week 3 victory over Boston College:

2

Duke committed its second redzone turnover in as many games Saturday.  Counting the redzone drive that ended as time expired in the first half against Richmond, that makes three redzone turnovers in three games played.  Against the Eagles, Sean Renfree threw an interception caught by Jim Noel at Boston College’s six-yard line.

2

Duke was hurt against Boston College by penalties.  In all, the Blue Devils committed nine penalties for a total of 79 yards—the rushing game managed just two more yards than penalties took away from Duke.  Against Stanford and Richmond, Duke committed a total of seven penalties for 52 yards.

3

The Blue Devils won their first ACC game of the season for the first time in three years.  Back in 2008 Thad Lewis threw for two touchdowns and Jabari Marshall recorded one of four interceptions and returned it 42 yards for a touchdown on the way to a 31-3 Duke win over Virginia.  2011 and 2008 are the only two times in the last 10 years the Blue Devils won their first ACC game.  In 2009 Duke lost 34-26 to then No. 6 Virginia Tech and in 2010 they lost 54-48 to Wake Forrest.

6

Sean Renfree had one of the best games of his career, and one of the most telling numbers was that Renfree commanded six drives in which his completion percentage was perfect.  For comparison’s sake, he managed just eight in his previous two games, but many of those came about because Renfree didn’t throw often during run-heavy drives.

Share and discuss “Renfree's precision leads Duke to first victory” on social media.