Obama promotes Jobs Act in Triangle

Barack Obama speaks before a full Reynolds Coliseum at North Carolina State University.

In his latest push to create jobs, the president is talking straight to the people.

President Barack Obama promoted the American Jobs Act in a public speech at North Carolina State University’s Reynolds Coliseum Wednesday. After presenting the act to a joint session of Congress last week, Obama traveled to the Triangle to inform the public about the legislation and his plan for job creation. The American Jobs Act comes as Obama faces declining approval ratings and the upcoming 2012 election.

“I came to talk about how America can get back to a place where we’re creating good middle class jobs again,” Obama said. “Jobs that pay well, jobs that offer some security, jobs that are available for... young people.”

During his visit, Obama also visited WestStar Precision, a small manufacturing company based in Apex, N.C. This is the president’s second visit to the Triangle in the last five months—Obama visited Cree, Inc. in June.

In his remarks, Obama highlighted several key components of the plan, such as more government incentives to hire new workers, increased funding for infrastructure improvements, more investment in education and tax cuts for the middle class. The bill would not add to the national debt but instead would be paid for in full through closing tax loopholes for larger corporations and high-income individuals.

The packed Coliseum lacked air conditioning, causing at least six audience members to faint. Despite the heat, the crowd was largely receptive to the proposal, applauding and cheering throughout the event.

Joe Veedock, an unemployed engineer who attended the speech, said he supports Obama and his bill, despite not voting for him in the 2008 election. He added that Obama’s message often gets lost in heated criticism from the opposition, but he has faith that this bill can be passed.

“Obama seems like a man of action, but he gets trapped having to defend himself,” Veedock said. “I think people are just going to get louder and louder until Congress gets it right.”

In order to create jobs, Obama said businesses need an economic boost—something the act would provide by cutting payroll taxes and offering tax incentives for hiring new employees, among other measures. Small businesses could also benefit from the bill, such as WestStar Precision, and approximately 175,000 other small businesses in the state.

“[What WestStar does] is what a lot of companies here in the Research Triangle do so well,” he said. “They hire smart people, they give them the best technology [and] they create something of lasting value. And that’s how this country built a strong and growing economy and a strong, expanding middle class... and that’s what we’ve got to get back to.”

The legislation also includes a separate payroll tax cut for the middle class. The typical working family in North Carolina would receive $1,300 in tax cuts next year if the bill passes, he said.

The president also expressed concerns about cuts to education, specifically the budget shortfalls that are forcing school boards to lay off teachers in North Carolina.

“[Cuts to education are] unfair to our kids, it undermines their future—it has to stop,” he said. “If we want our kids ready for college, ready for careers in the 21st century, tell Congress to pass the American Jobs Act and put teachers back in the classroom where they belong.”

The proposed legislation, Obama said, would help protect the jobs of up to 13,000 North Carolina teachers, cops and firefighters. It would also increase Pell Grants, he added, and make student loans more affordable.

Obama addressed his opposition’s claims that he is pushing the bill for political gain. He also noted that Americans should not have to wait 14 months for a remedy, despite arguments by his political opponents that this discussion should wait until after the 2012 election.

“Give me a win? Give me a break–that’s exactly why folks are fed up with Washington,” he said. “This isn’t about giving me a win.... This is about giving the American people a win.”

NCSU freshman Tevin Holley said he supports the bill, adding that he plans to encourage his congressional representatives to pass it.

“[The speech] gave me a much better understanding of the issue,” Holley said. “I’ll do whatever I need to do to get it passed.”

Sophomore Taylor Imperiale, a member of Duke College Republicans who did not attend the speech Wednesday, said he does not support the bill because he believes it will increase federal spending.

“I think that this was campaigning,” he said. “North Carolina is a huge battleground state... so the Obama campaign’s decision to have this speech here was definitely a political decision.”

Share and discuss “Obama promotes Jobs Act in Triangle” on social media.